1. Send in the Clowns - A Little Night Music
What’s a list of Broadway breakup songs without the most classic of them all?
2. Burn - Hamilton
It’s time to erase yourself from the narrative—by which I mean deleting him from your Snapchat friend list.
3. Losing My Mind - Follies
One show brings us two ways to deal with a breakup. Sometimes, you’ve gotta just reflect and cry it out…
4. Could I Leave You? - Follies
…And other times, you’ve gotta make ‘em regret the day they messed with you!
5. I'm Not That Girl - Wicked
Elphaba (and later, Glinda) didn’t think they were “that girl” for Fiyero…but they got a pretty wicked friendship out of it anyway.
6. Forget About The Boy - Thoroughly Modern Millie
Sound advice if there ever was any!
7. Goodbye Until Tomorrow / I Could Never Rescue You - The Last Five Years
Just try to listen to this one without a piece of your heart breaking off a little. (Go ahead, I’ll wait.)
8. The Party's Over - Bells Are Ringing
Another entry for the "classic Broadway songs to cry to" category
9. Casualty of Love - The Wedding Singer
It’s just like Robbie says: “Love’s a trick, love’s a trap, love’s a hot chick with the clap!”
10. On My Own - Les Misérables
If you claim to have ever been a high school girl who didn’t empathize with Eponine's friend-zoned plight at least once: I don’t believe you.
11. I'm Gonna Wash That Man Right Outa My Hair - South Pacific
In these troubled times, just keep calm and put the OG 'movin’ on' song on repeat.
12. The Sadder-But-Wiser Girl - The Music Man
Because at first when you don’t succeed in love…try, try, and try again.
13. What Causes That? - Crazy For You
Tfw you lose the girl of your dreams by dressing up as a “fictional” alter ego who turns out to really exist so your dream girl ditches you for “you”, and there’s nothing left to do but sing a mopey-yet-upbeat duet with your romantic rival/identical twin.
14. Time Heals Everything - Mack and Mabel
And lastly, when all else seems hopeless, just let these words from Bernadette Peters ring true: time really does heal everything.
- Agree with our picks? Which other songs would you add? Let us know in the comments!