Theater fans know there's a Broadway show for all occasions. You can read our best bets for date night, girls' night out, and the entire family below - plus, check out the latest and greatest on Broadway!
Planning a special evening out?
- Jersey Boys - Add a little retro romance to your date night with the classic love songs of Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons. “Jersey Boys” tells the story of the sensational foursome and will have you singing, “Who loves you, pretty baby?” by the end of the evening.
- The Band’s Visit - If you want to spend your night out with a critical hit, look no further than “The Band’s Visit.” This gently-sweeping, thought-provoking musical swept the Tony Awards this year, including Best Musical.
- Come From Away - A stirring, inspiring, heartwarming, "big bearhug of a musical." "Come From Away" tells the miraculous story of what happened with 39 planes were diverted to the far-flung town of Gander, Newfoundland in the wake of 9/11. It's uplifting at its core and will definitely spark conversation after the curtain falls.
GIRLS’ NIGHT OUT
Girls just wanna have fun (at the theater). Grab your gal pals and check out these great shows.
- Pretty Woman - For the girl group who loves rom coms. Starring Samantha Barks and (the very hunky) Andy Karl, it’s a remake of the beloved 90s love story.
- Waitress - The sweetest show on Broadway, “Waitress” is a delicious blend of original music (courtesy of singer-songwriter Sara Bareilles) and heartwarming story. Add in your girl gang, bake a 350 degrees, and voila - the perfect girls’ night out. (P.S. - Al Rocker--yes, that Al Rocker--joins the cast for a limited run from October 5 - November 11.)
- Smokey Joe’s Cafe - It features the music of Leiber and Stoller (“Jailhouse Rock,” “Stand By Me”) and has a fantastic ShowScore of 86 from 214 members. If you’re looking for a very vintage evening of great dancing and incredible singing, this is for you.
Looking for something the kids (and you) will enjoy?
- Frozen - The animated mega-hit is taking Broadway by (snow)storm. Featuring all-new songs alongside the hits you know and love from the film, “Frozen” is dazzling for the eyes and the ears. Parents will have just as much fun as their little Annas and Elsas.
- Gazillion Bubble Show - If you’re looking for a theatrical experience for the very young, “Gazillion Bubble Show” might be exactly what you need. NY Metro Parents gave it a ShowScore of 95 and Show-Score members call the record-breaking bubble extravaganza “enchanting” and “delightful.”
- CLOSING SOON: School of Rock - This rock 'n roll musical is a great pick for the whole family. It's based on the Jack Black film and follows a wannabe-rockstar-turned-substitute-theater and his pint-sized rockstar pupils. It's a hit among parents and kids (ShowScore 85) and closes this January. Holiday gift idea, anyone?
THE LATEST AND GREATEST
New and hot shows on Broadway
- The Latest: Bernhardt/Hamlet - Fresh in previews, "Bernhardt/Hamlet" is the latest show to begin performances on Broadway. If you love Shakespeare or Janet McTeer (she stars), you might want to put this in the "to see" column.
- The Greatest: Dear Evan Hansen - Winner of the 2017 Tony Award for Best Musical (among more), “Dear Evan Hansen” is still going strong. If you’re planning on seeing this certifiable hit, we recommend bringing tissues along. It hits you in all the feels.
- The Greatest: Hamilton - The highest scoring Broadway show on Show-Score. (Surprise!) With a 97 from over 9,000 members, the hype is definitely real. For tips on how to score those hard-to-come-by tickets, check out our guide to seeing sold out shows.